Sunday, November 1, 2009

Greek Revival

Readers (said in Colbert "nation" voice),
Let's take a tour of Early American home styles, shall we? Some of you may be as obsessed with houses as I am. I love 'em...and want them all! My mother is an old home fanatic and I think I inherit it from her. Living in New England also provides a unique opportunity to appreciate many different styles.

Let's start with one of my favorites - Greek Revival.

According to Wikipedia, the architectural movement became popular in Northern Europe and the United States during the late 1700's and early 1800's. Thomas Jefferson appointed Benjamin Henry Latrobe as surveyor of public building for the US. He went on to design a number of public buildings in DC, including the capitol. The style is likely a nod by American's fledgling democracy to the Greeks who invented that stuff.

Tipping their hats to Greek structures such as the Parthenon:

The American built some very literal translations such as this bank:




Slightly more subtle interpretations came in the form of houses. The key features being the gable end facing the street, complete with pediment (the bottom of the triangle). Columns are options.




Here are some other examples of Greek Revival homes....

my photo





No comments:

Post a Comment